Elementary was named after Hiram Beverly Castlio, affectionately known
as “Uncle Bev.” He was the nephew of Francis Howell, Jr., and one of
three directors named in Howell’s will to build and supervise the
Francis Howell Institute. Mr. Castlio served without pay in that
position from the time the Institute opened its doors in 1881 until1895.
Under his leadership and direction, it became the center of higher
education in St. Charles County. At one time, it was estimated that more
than half of the teachers in the county had attended Francis Howell
Institute. When Mr. Castlio died in 1904, he bequeathed $10,000 to the
Institute. His love for public education has continued on through our
Elementary School first opened on July 27, 1981. At the time of it’s
opening, it included 20 regular classrooms, four special education
classrooms, an art room, a resource center, an office, and a gym that
also served as the cafeteria. Because the school was built on a 100-acre
site, there were thoughts that a middle school or high school would be
included in the future. However, that never occurred.